‘Twas a great summer indeed – full of fun, adventures, summertime memories and of course, chaos. But now it’s time for us to go back to our regularly scheduled programming and our regular routines. While making my girls healthy, balanced and tasty meals is always a top priority for me even throughout the summer, I want to make sure I translate that to their lunch boxes so that they have enough energy to sustain their little bodies and minds throughout the school day. Sure, sandwiches are great every now and then but if your kiddos are anything like mine, they don’t like to repeat foods often. We have to get our creative juices flowing when it comes to packing kiddos’ lunches and of course we want to make eating healthy fun for them.
Well have no fret, dear mamas! This is a no lunch rut zone here! Here are some easy, healthy, yet fun lunch ideas for the kiddos. As always, I’ll continue to post more healthy lunch ideas on my Instagram story and they’ll remain highlighted under the icon titled Kiddo Lunches. Follow me @Michelle_Font.
First off, these amazing Bentgo Boxes can be found on Amazon and the best part is that they’re spillage-proof! Here’s the direct link: https://amzn.to/2P0mYoO
I like to provide a main dish, with some fruits and veggies and a side. I personally save the sweets for an after school treat so that they don’t consume too much of it.
1. Cream cheese roll-ups with ham and cheese – this isn’t a traditional sandwich per se. It’s a lot more fun for them. My girls LOVE these and completely guzzle them up. Add some pita chips, hummus, grapes and cherry tomatoes for sides.
2. Baked egg cup – breakfast is cool at any time of day and these fun heart-shaped egg cups are packed with protein. Add some spinach, bell peppers and feta cheese and you’ve created a healthy masterpiece. You can whip up a batch at a time and store some for breakfast or more lunches throughout the week and I’m a huge fan of foods that can be stored for those mornings you’re in a rush. I aded cucumber slices, baby carrots and ranch dip, along with apple slices.
3. Ham and cheese stick roll – another of the girls’ favorite. I added pita chips, baby carrots, ranch dip and frozen mixed berries.
4. No bake energy bites – packed with protein, satisfying and incredibly easy (a mother’s dream meal). Mix peanut butter, honey, vanilla, rolled oats, shredded coconut and M&Ms in a bowl. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes and then pat yourself on the back for a job well done! These can also be stored for a later day in the week. I added yogurt, grapes and a cheese stick for sides.
5. Have the kiddos make their own pizza with pita rounds. Pack mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce for them to make their own pizza. I added carrot sticks and ranch dip.
Here are a few more ideas not pictured.
6. Ham and cheese kabobs – add cherry tomatoes or a fruit on each end.
7. Sliced strawberry and cream cheese sandwich – add some honey to make it extra tasty.
8. Waffles or pancakes for lunch – again, breakfast at any time of day is always a great idea!
9. Pizza roll-ups – same concept as the cream cheese roll-ups but with pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella.
10. Ham and cucumber pinwheels – spread cream cheese on sliced ham, cut them into pinwheels and place on top of sliced cucumbers. Can’t get any easier than that!
Good luck this school year, mamas, and give me a shout if you try any of these! Happy back to school lunch shopping!